NEW for 2016 Autowatch GHOST
Thatcham Insurance Category 2 (Cat 2)
An immobiliser system which prevents your vehicle being started and running. It is the minimum requirement for most medium risk vehicles. An electronic immobiliser is probably the most important part of any vehicle security system.
Most vehicles manufactured for the UK market since 2002 have come factory equipped with a car immobiliser system. Some manufactures like BMW, Peugeot and Ford have been equipped with high grade thatcham approved immobilisers since 1996.
Only a handful of import vehicles are equipped with an immobiliser, none of which are thatcham approved and wont meet SVA criteria. - Car Immobiliser Systems
Cobra 8510 Touch Key Immobiliser
Toad Sterling Excel Transponder Immobiliser
Their are 3 main types of immobiliser:
- Touch Key immobiliser - This requires the driver to touch a key into a panel on the dashboard to extinguish the immobiliser. This is the most common type of system fitted to a vehicle after being manufactured.
- Transponder immobiliser - Most commonly used by manufactures when the vehicle is built. If fitted at factory you will have a microchip fitted inside your ignition key casing, many people do not realise it is even fitted. It is also possible to have a transponder immobiliser fitted to your vehicle after it has left the factory.
- Remote type immobiliser - This is a non-thatcham type which requires the driver to remotely set the immobiliser using a separate key pad.
We can install any of the above immobiliser systems to many different types of vehicles including;
- Vans & motor-homes
- HGV vehicles
- Plant vehicles such as diggers & tractors
- Motorbike’s & Quad bikes
- High performance & MPV import vehicles
Q: How do i know if my vehicle is fitted with a factory immobiliser?
A: You can check vehicle compatibility using ‘thatcham listing’ available online. Please visit
www.thatcham.org for up to date information. (this is the same database insurance companies use)
Q: How long does it take to fit a new immobiliser to my car?
A: Depending on the vehicle, installations take between 1.5 & 3 hours.
Automotive Control security installations are performed by ‘thatcham recognised installers‘. This means Automotive Control are approved to be fitting high grade insurance and thatcham approved vehicle security systems such as category 2 immobiliser systems. Automotive Control can install, service and repair most vehicle immobilisers, listed below are just a handful of systems that we service, such as Toad Powerkey, Cobra 8510, Viper 106, Cobra 802t, Clifford, Meta M99, Sterling Excel, Apollo 2002, Laserline 921, Sigma M800, Scorpion, Gt 869, thatcham approved and cat2. Autowatch Ghost, Ghost Immobiliser